Friday, February 25, 2011

Judging a Book by it's Cover

Finally home time!!!

I have been at a conference away from home for the past six days and its been rough. The content was tough. The people were new and I don't feel connected to them. Many meals were served to me and many problems arose with this way of doing things. The gym was weak and things were generally uncomfortable.....

What did I take away from this......

I learned that life is not easy (well I already knew this but it was a good reminder!!)

I learned that my lifestyle demands planning. The program insisted on served buffet meals, this wasn't going to work for me. I planned, planned and planned some more on how to make my time there easier. I packed snacks, lunches, suppers and breakfasts. ALL MEALS. I used the old Murphy's Law rule, if something can go wrong it will go wrong.

I learned to McGyver. I went to the local gym and saw the lack of equipment and the faulty death trap stuff. What did I do? Did I turn around and go home? Did I just do cardio instead? NO! I tied bands together, I changed the set up of the moveable equipment, I got the job done!

I learned that tv is not what I remember it to be. I spent time in front of it, switched the channels, and took advantage but I soon found out I had gotten over my burning urge to see what was on. Instead, by day 2, I decided that making use of the buildings 19 flights of stairs was more fun. I climbed and climbed and rode the elevator down and did it all again..and again.....and again..... :)

I learned that family and their support are missed when not around. I like to hear their words of encouragement. It keeps me going and propells me further.

I learned that sometimes the words 'what is that??? What are you eating???' is not always necessarily a bad thing. Smetimes people just want to know, they don't know what is healthy and they WANT to learn. This was a great way to meet people. Many of them wanted to know why I ate differently. Although I know I didn't reach everyone, I know I know I reached a few. Going to be mailing out a few more recipes to a few more people :)

I noticed that my dedication to my sport is recognized and makes me a much better person. Every morning I was at that gym, working out, pushing hard, leaving sweaty, and eager to come back and do it again. And those who saw me were encouraged. Those that didn't heard about it from those that had and had questions on how they should start.

All in all, even though it may not have been the best week, you can't judge a book by its cover. I learned so much from this week that it makes it all worth while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment